Please do the following in this Reflective Essay:
1. Write a 2.5-3 paged (2.5 means 2 full pages and a full half a page) structured Essay in MLA format that makes an ARGUMENT (you must include an overall thesis statement) for the following questions:
In what ways has or hasn’t your approach to writing changed since starting the course?
In understanding that writing, critical reading, and critical thinking takes much perseverance and REGULAR practice, what is the importance of CONSISTENTLY (not only when assignments are due) working on improving writing skills in order to develop as a writer, critical reader, and critical thinker?
Since you are reflecting, it is okay to write in first person. However, be careful that you are not writing a narrative, as this is not the task for this assignment. Rather, the goal of this assignment is to also demonstrate that you can write a structured essay.
Please DO NOT write an essay that list answers to these questions, rather you are to produce a structured essay (Intro, background, thesis, analysis, examples, evidence, transitions, topic/concluding sentences) where you read and think about each question carefully to demonstrate that you can formulate an argument, a thesis that not only examines what happens but WHY it matters and the larger importance.
TIP: When Constructing a Thesis Statement
An Effective thesis statement IS NOT the Following:
“As a writer, I feel that I have changed and developed a growth mindset because I seek consistent tutoring.” This is a very broad statement that does not make an argument for growth or lack of a growth and its connection to a fixed or growth mindset.
If this is what is produced as a thesis for this essay, this DOES NOT demonstrate an argument, in terms of what has been hopefully learned this semester about what a Thesis Statement is and what it should resemble.
You want to take time to sit with and reflect on these questions in order to formulate an argument. This demonstrates your ability to prewrite and to write a thesis statement. Please review the resources that I have posted to Canvas for thesis statements. Pls refer to your practice with writing thesis with the instructor or tutor.
2. Please cite from at least 3 of the your prior readings to reinforce your analysis along with your own examples as a student. Please also remember the difference between using examples as evidence, so that this does not turn into a narration, but rather an argument you are making and only supporting your essay with evidence and or/first-hand examples. Those reading are:
A. The Secret to Raising Smart Kids by Carol Dweck Links to an external site.
B. And Still We Rise by Miles Corwin
C. I Just Wanna Be Average by Mike Rose Download I Just Wanna Be Average by Mike Rose
D. Brainology: Transforming Students Motivation to Learn Download Brainology: Transforming Students Motivation to Learn
3. Finally, please include a VISUAL IMAGE that represents where you feel you have grown in your process of writing (seeking tutoring from the instructor or tutor, practicing outside of class, thinking deeply about the work you produce).
Many students did not submit this portion of the assignment as required for the Midterm Reflection. If this is not completed, it will affect the overall score for this Final Reflection. You always want to complete ALL aspects of any assignment.
This visual image is an image of your choosing. You can copy and paste an image from Google and paste it in your word document.
This image should go on the last page of your essay.
Below the image, please also explain WHY you chose this image to represent who you are as a writer currently.
The image IS NOT part of the 2.5-3pages (2.5 means 2 full pages and a full half a page).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING THE ASSIGNMENT
1. Please upload a Word, PDF, or text file to Canvas by clicking the ” Start or Submit Assignment tab.”
2. Choose or Select the Word, PDF, or txt file that you will upload.
3. Please make sure to confirm that your essay has been uploaded correctly. You should receive a confetti confirmation when the upload is successful.